Welcome to the Gliding Federation of Australia
The GFA Membership system is now up and running on the GoMembership Platform. This is a completely new approach to membership automation, but the way GFA operates has not changed, so much remains the same although for members used to the olf MyGFA system some adjustment will be needed.
The GoMembership system can be found HERE
This article discusses the various categories of membership that are available in the Gliding Federation of Australia.
The GFA has several categories of membership, but all basically work in the same way:
- Full membership is for adult members. It provides 12 month membership, including 4 copies of our quarterly magazine Gliding Australia (so you don't need to buy this separately), and includes a levy which is paid to the State Gliding Association that you are affiliated with through your gliding club membership.
- Youth/Student Membership is for young people under the age of 18, or full time students (at least 20 hours per week of course attendance) up to 26 years old. It has exactly the same benefits and requirements of full adult membership.
- 3 month membership. This is an introductory category for Australian residents and can be purchased once only, by people wishing to try gliding for the first time. If you wish to continue after the three months, a full membership must be purchased.
- International visitors, who are members of an approved international gliding organisation or have an international gliding licence, May purchase international visitor membership in one month blocks. There is no limit to the number of blocks purchased or how often these are purchased.
- Non-Flying member - Active. This applies to people who are maintenance engineers or ground instructors who do no flying. This category is also for tug pilots who don't fly gliders. Members in this category MUST be a gliding club member.
- Non-flying member - Associate. This applies to members who are acting as volunteers to assist clubs or competitions.
- Australian Air Force Cadet (AAFC) or Air League membership. This is a concessional rate for members of the AAFC only. Is for AAFC or Air League members under the age of 18, or full time students (at least 20 hours per week of course attendance) up to 26 years old.
You MUST already be a member of a Gliding Club in order to be a Flying Member the GFA. This is a requirement of our Articles of Association. In the application form you will be asked to state the club that you belong to.
You can renew your membership within one month of expiry. You can arrange a subscription payment so that an automatic payment will be made annually from your nominated card, and there is also an option to pay by installment.
In order to fly a glider, you must have a certain level of medical fitness, and you will be asked to say what that status is. There are three options:
- Hold a valid CASA Medical Certificate;
- Be assessed by a GP against the medical standards for the issue of a private motor vehicle driver’s licence; or
- Complete a self-declaration that you are fit to fly a glider
A Medical Declaration Form - Pilot can be found in the Operations Forms section of the Document Library by clicking this link. If you are making a self-declaration, then we don't need a separate form.
A Medical Practitioner's Certificate can be found in the Operations Forms section of the Document Library by clicking the link.
While filling in the membership form you will be able to purchase your membership online, by credit card (Mastercard or Visa only), or bank transfer. Please be aware that the GFA does NOT keep your credit card details when you purchase online. You are transferred to a commercial Payment Gateway over an encrypted link, so your details are secure even from us!
If you pay by credit card, you will have the benefit of immediate membership, while for other options you will not be a member until we receive your payment into our bank. When you pay online, you will receive a receipt by email, and this receipt can be used as proof of membership while we process your membership and send you a membership card.