CASA Glider Pilot Licence Application

The CASA Glider pilot licence introduced by Part 61 is now available for those Australian glider pilots wishing to have their GFA qualification recognised overseas.

To meet CASA requirements, a pilot must hold a valid Glider Pilot Certificate issued by the GFA. The GFA Glider Pilot Certificate is compliant with Annex 1 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation and the standards for its issue are equivalent to the competency standards for the glider pilot licence mentioned in the Part 61 Manual of Standards.To apply for a CASA Glider Pilot Licence, applicants need to complete CASA Form 61-1GP – Glider Pilot Application and must provide:

  1. A certified true copy of the GFA Glider Pilot Certificate; and
  2. A letter from the GFA, on GFA letterhead, stating that their GFA certificate was granted on the basis of the applicant meeting the competency standards that are at least equivalent to the competency standards for the glider pilot licence mentioned in the Part 61 Manual of Standards.

Eligible GFA members applying for a GPL can obtain the “GFA Letter” by emailing the Executive Manager, Operations (emo@sy.glidingaustralia.org).

  • NOTE 1: A GPC is only valid while a person holds a current  membership of GFA that permits them to fly a glider.  GFA will not provide a letter for applicants who have let their GFA membership lapse or who do not hold an appropriate category of membership.
  • NOTE 2: The holder of a Glider Pilot Licence is authorised to conduct an activity in the exercise of the privileges of the licence only if the activity is conducted by a GFA member in accordance with the GFA Operations Manual (refer CASR 61.1515).
  • NOTE 3: The green cover “Gliding Certificate” is not a Part 61 compliant document.
  • NOTE 4: ELP level 4 is a minimum prerequisite for a GPL. GFA does not provide ELP testing services. Refer to the CASA website for approved ELP test centres.
  • NOTE 5: For AVID/ASIC requirements, refer the CASA website.

Applicants should refer to page 1 of the Glider Pilot Licence Application form for additional requirements.

If you have any further questions regarding CASA licencing requirements please contact the CASA Licencing and Registration Centre (CLARC).

Christopher Thorpe – Executive Manager, Operations

Privacy Settings
We use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. If you are using our Services via a browser you can restrict, block or remove cookies through your web browser settings. We also use content and scripts from third parties that may use tracking technologies. You can selectively provide your consent below to allow such third party embeds. For complete information about the cookies we use, data we collect and how we process them, please check our Privacy Policy
Consent to display content from - Youtube
Consent to display content from - Vimeo
Google Maps
Consent to display content from - Google
Consent to display content from - Spotify
Sound Cloud
Consent to display content from - Sound